Archives for the month of: February, 2014

I’ve made a doll’s quilt for my great niece’s 4th birthday in some of the fabrics I used to make one for her when she was born.

20140206-192326.jpg

20140206-192332.jpg

It was very pink and pretty, including the flower fairy fabric above, completely out of my comfort range colour-wise. I don’t seem to have a photo of the cot quilt, which is unusual. I photograph most of my quilts as they tend to have been for others and it’s good to look  back at earlier work occasionally.

But back to the doll’s quilt. I first started sewing and knitting for my own doll’s when I was very little. A knitted scarf for my old teddy, long since gone, the scarf not the teddy. The lady next door and one of my mum’s friends both made wedding and bridesmaid’s dresses, and they gave me the scraps of fabric, bits of lace and ribbon left over. One doll’s dress in particular sticks in my mind – a beautiful deep red satin, trimmed with white lacy flowers.

20140223-165442.jpg

This ribbon is about the same colour, and these are some of the flowers left over from the mid sixties in my stash. If memory serves me right, they were cut out and stitched in a ring around the neck. The hem was cut with pinking shears and left as a zig-zag  edge. I had a children’s  little sewing machine which I struggled with and found most frustrating because the top and bottom threads often failed to twist together and the seams came undone,  and the tension was rarely right, but I had enough successes for it not to deter me for long.

20140214-183644.jpg

This doll’s quilt used some squares I’d cut for the original cot quilt that were left over, so it was quite quick to put the top together and then I put fleece on the back.

20140214-183633.jpg

20140206-192251.jpg

20140214-183653.jpg

It then just needs hand stitching around the edge to finish it off.

Advertisements

Working on the border was easy, I even managed to stitch while half watching the telly. I had to try out a couple of different versions to get round the corners, on the outer edge. I didn’t want it to just continue in the same stitch, and it didn’t work any way, so with a couple of bits of trial and error. I decided on this.

20140206-192115.jpg

20140206-192140.jpg

20140206-192149.jpg

20140206-192235.jpg

20140206-192210.jpg

I could then continue with filling in the triangles.

20140206-192445.jpg

20140206-192456.jpg

I then sorted out all the yarns in the right colours and tones and put them in a basket to inspire me to carry on. They just look so warm and cosy, just what I need on these cold, grey wet days.

20140206-192433.jpg

20140206-192423.jpg

Progress so far is in the background.

20140206-192411.jpg